Business card rpgs

I didn’t know where this fits on the forums, but I’ve been vibing with some minimalist rpg design lately. Yesterday, I made a business card-sized sci-fi game called Free Traders. Feel free to check it out!

Do any of all y’all have any cool minimalist rpg projects to share?

9 Likes

Thirst & Hunger immediately jump to mind. They are complementary solo games about a vampire and their lover. In each one you are one of them. They are simple and made to fit in a single business card each, but you’ll need a deck of cards. They are interesting to have in your desktop and try on one of “those” days

1 Like

I made one a while ago, as part of a business card jam on Itch. Lots of good things created for that.

2 Likes

Not to derail the conversation, but this seems fun :laughing: it’s a bit a dexterity game and a lot of “what do you do?”

1 Like

For a little while after Vast and Starlit came out, there was some excitement in indie rpg circles about games small enough to fit on a business card. There were a good number of tiny rpgs made along those lines: http://www.finemessgames.com/nano-games

1 Like

I stole the dexterity mechanic, almost whole cloth, from Card Slingers. http://perilplanet.com/a-virtual-grab-bag-of-games/card-slingers-business-card-rpg/

2 Likes

I made Advanced Let’s Play Pretend 2nd Edition for a jam about introducing newcomers to RPGs.

1 Like

FWIW. I have a about a dozen or so Vast & Starlit left, so if anyone wants the set of 4, order it here.

I used to rib Eppie when he first debuted it and was all “It’s a complete PRG on an index card” and then immediately issued 3 supplements in rapid succession.

4 Likes

Yes! I have both Thirst and Hunger and love the design.

I’d actually be interested in taking you up on that, but I’m in Finland, so I don’t know what that’ll mean for shipping costs…

My hunch is that it’ll mean more than you want to spend, but let me check.

1 Like

Many of the 200 word rpg contest fit this category. Sidewalkia is one of my favorites, although technically I think that one is a LARP.

2 Likes

I have never played Vast and Starlit with the supplements. The base game is already too rules-heavy for me.