Dream Campaigns

In either Fate or a full home brew system, a game where the players portray living embodiments of the songs played at Woodstock, trying to reunite The Beatles who represent the four seasonal fae courts. The lyrics of your song are the entirety of your character sheet and encapsulate everything your character is capable of

4 Likes

I have two dream campaigns. One based on nostalgia and one on my contemporary gaming preferences.

The nostalgia campaign would be a lightly re-skined version of Pendragon for running a campaign in the First Age of Middle-Earth, à la The Silmarilion. I feel Pendragon would be the perfect chassis for conveying the spirit of the narrative and the writing style of that book. Despite being completely off Tolkien, it’s the book of his that I have the most attachment to. And Pendragon is part of my role-playing history. After a long-running Pendragon campaign in my youth, it holds a special place in my heart (RIP Greg Stafford).

The contemporary-preferences campaign would be an Archipelago III campaign with a lot of smaller games feeding into the story. Session -1 would be an A thousand years under the sun game. Session zero would be a game of House of Reeds. Those two would be the background for the beginning of the Archipelago campaign, the setting and relationships. As we played through the Archipelago campaign, we would take one-session breaks to play smaller games that would feed setting and backstory details into the main story.

If we needed the backstory for an artifact maybe we would play a session of Cursed Chronicle, a 200 word RPG. If we need a cosmogony maybe we would play a session of This Rare Fabric, another 200 word RPG. If we needed a site, maybe a session of How to Host a Dungeon or something similar. If we needed fronts or need to advance fronts then maybe we would play The Queen’s Word, yet another 200 word, chess-roleplaying game. There are many, many smaller single session games that could be used this way.

Why would I do it this way? Well, you may or may not have figured it out already, but this post is long enough, so I’ll save that for another thread

3 Likes

My white whale campaign is to run a full on Dark Sun campaign, using some sort of OSR rule set. I just don’t think it could live up to how I imagined it would go in my 15 year old head.

When I ran my Carcosa game, the idea was that it was meant to be more inspired by He-Man that Lovecraft. That didn’t quite happen, so I’d like to try and do it again one day.

7 Likes

Last time I played actual D&D, Dark Sun was relatively new and that’s what we were playing. Approaching it now would be awesome.

2 Likes

I’d like to take a group through a D&D campaign from level 1 to 20 without getting bored or overwhelmed with mechanical options halfway through.

2 Likes

I have this kinda children’s book/YA Changeling inspired Swedish folklore horror-ish coming of age thing I’ve wanted to run for well over a decade, but I can never bring myself to try to set it up because even if I could find a system for it I know the experience could never live up to how I imagine it in my head.

If I was any good at writing longform fiction I would try to turn it into a novel or four.

2 Likes

For a long time I’ve wanted to get my “HBO quality drama series set during the 1888 Autumn of Terror” kinda Jack the Ripper thing to work, but two tries have just not quite gotten me where I want yet. Maybe I could do something one day with a hack of Cthulhu Dark, although it’s pedigree as a Purist engine would distract me. (I’m about as far as possible from a Cthulhu Purist; see Kingsport, passim.) I tried to get it to work with Cortex Plus Drama but that system just…doesn’t quite get there. Maybe doing it in pure Dogs in the Vineyard would work, IDK…

1 Like

You are speaking my language!

Hi all. New here :slight_smile:
Anyone remember Wilderness of Mirrors? Always wanted to do one of those. Of course, I always like Supers stuff, so I would probably make it be some kind of superspy flavor to it.

4 Likes

Any sort of long-form (as in multiple years) campaign that builds its own complex continuity through emergent play, though I’d especially enjoy a superhero game that does that.

I want to be able to pull in NPCs that the players had last interacted with months before in new and interesting roles, where we could see how their lives have developed since they were last seen in-game.

2 Likes