So over in the thread on goals for 2019 I wrote that I wanted to publish my new game by Easter. The Swedish release did indeed get done in time. Translating the book into English took a bit longer than I expected, but now it is done, still 2019.
Anyway, my new game Kuf is a modern day Gnostic horror RPG built on top of Ben Milton’s rules light OSR game Knave.
I have added a somewhat grittier damage and trauma system, a framework for campaigns, dangerous magic and a reworked experience/advancement mechanics a bit to go better with the setting.
In Kuf you play ordinary people who get a peek of what the world is really like, and get changed by the experience. The thirst for more knowledge drives them down a dark and dangerous path.
I’m still struggling to make a good elevator pitch of the game but in the campaign we just wrapped up the PCs:
- Practiced ritual magic based on the things they learned by hanging out with a senile witch in a care facility.
- Learned to fear the Firebrigade.
- Traveled to the Heaths of Silver where they slept with a monster to learn its secrets.
- Traveled to the places beyond the heaths.
- Had a panic attack in the Darkest Wood which resulted in the PC nurse mowing down the PC linguist with a chainsaw.
- Managed to rescue a journalist/sorceress who had gotten trapped beyond the barrier that defines our reality.
I blabber about the game on the Nordnordost podcast: https://www.nordnordost.se/?p=1130