- Play test: This game is currently in development. Please only sign up if you are OK to play a game that has not been fully tested.
- Hack: This game is a hack of Passion de las Pasiones, which I haven’t played or run before.
A family from one part of the world moves to another part of the world, ostensibly to reinvent themselves, recover from a loss, or simply to start over. This is a game about self discovery, defining what it means to be home, and the strength of the family in trying times.
The characters explore the community and establish their place in it, navigating cultural differences, while being respectful and gracious.
The game strives to build sweet stories with sympathetic if flawed characters. The family may grate on each other but ultimately love and respect each other. The family may be foreign and clumsy, but ultimately they respect the community, its people, and its culture.
The Family Abroad covers family relations that might sometimes strain under stress. It explicitly highlights cross-cultural relations and may wade into ignorance and prejudice. The purpose of the game is to maintain respect while navigating these differences.
At A Glance
- System: My Family At Home Abroad, a hack of Pasion de las Pasiones
- The Pitch: A family moves abroad and attempts to integrate with the culture, based on The Durrells
- Schedule: Three Wednesdays in November
- Breaks: Two 10-minute breaks
- Venue: GM’s Zoom
- Recording Session: With consent from all players
- Posting Recording: With consent from all players
- Attendance: Joining all sessions is ideal but not required
- Safety: Lines & Veils, X-Card, Open Table, and any others suggested by the players
- GM’s Statement of Style