Hello friends! My group is in need of a new system and I would love any recommendations y’all have.
We have been playing an FFG Star Wars campaign that over the years has gone from pretty standard Star Wars to increasingly gonzo. The PCs have long outgrown the character archetypes enforced by the system and the whole group is ready for something new.
We are all fans of Danger Patrol and Scum and Villainy, so I figured folks around here would have some good opinions. Scum and Villainy would be an obvious choice except that our players don’t map well to the playbooks there. For context, our group includes…
- A rogue scientist who heads up his own research division and has other scientists at his beck and call
- A fading cinema celebrity, sort of “what if Bob Hope had worked for the Empire”
- A former Bothan spy turned Bounty Hunter (our only combat-focused character who is usually busy saving everyone when things get rough)
- A “tour guide” droid who is millenia old (and whose player often uses that historical context to introduce new facts into play)
- A wrestling-star turned Jedi-ish person, basically if John Cena had magic powers (replete with a vocal fanbase)
The scientist, tour guide, and the force user’s notoriety don’t map well to the playbooks of S&V or FFG Star Wars. We find ourselves having to improvise a lot of mechanics for these characters. I would love to find a system that either better supports these characters or puts everyone on a level playing field.
Our adventures run the gamut and are generally 60% planned, 40% improvised. As you can probably guess from the player descriptions, the tone is generally pretty lighthearted, just shy of playing for laughs. We have been playing these characters for about 2 years so a system designed for playing the same characters over 20 - 40 sessions would be great.
Any recommendations on systems we should look at? In lieu of a better option, I will probably default to something generic and narrative-ish like FATE.
Thanks in advance and hope you are all having a great new year.