New User Introduction

oh man this is my other issue with the WoD stuff…I am extremely confused by the continuity. There’s old world of darkness, new world of darkness, and…other stuff!!!

High level view is rather simple, IMO. There’s 1) old WoD (Masquerade and other stuff) that includes everything up to and including Time of Judgement (2004-ish). There’s 2) a parallel universe/alt timeline in what’s known as nWoD or Chronicles of Darkness (Requiem and friends) that almost killed the IP. Then there’s 3) 5ed which is a recent reboot and deals with lore very close to old WoD but set in modern times (we’ve got smartphones and Interwebz in 2019 - who knew?). Then there was also 20th anniversary that tried to expand on old WoD but didn’t really succeed so let’s not talk about it. :wink:

In general 5ed would be the way to play today unless you want to try old WoD for a nostalgia trip or something. There are 100 maybe 200 supplements to the old WoD so there’s enough stuff to fill several lifes with. :wink: Some good, some bad, a lot can be adapted to 5ed easily, which is nice.

FWIW video games were set either in old WoD or are in 5ed (new Bloodlines and Coteries of NY). I don’t think there were any based on Chronicles but the one CCP (of Eve online fame) worked on was probably set in nWoD. HTH!

1 Like

This is a great explanation. Thank you! I’m definitely down with 5e…of the games, which do you think is the best? Thematically I love vampire, but I’m curious if any others are particularly well done?

Hi there, I’m Simon. I came here from the Discern Realities podcast, having got into Dungeon World recently.

My longest love in gaming is RueQuest, and all things Glorantha, and various other Chaosium and Greg Stafford games by extension. Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon and a few others. Gregg was a good friend, I used to meet him at conventions over here in Europe from time to time. I miss him deeply. I’ve been a member of that community here in the UK most of my life now, in the convention scene here in the UK and in Europe.

I’ve gravitated towards rules light and indie story games for some time now. Amber Diceless was a huge revelation for me. I’ve not played it for a long while, but will be starting up a game with my daughters and some of their school friends soon. I suggested Dungeon World, but they wanted something less restrictive genre wise, where they could have more diverse characters, and ADRPG should fit the bill nicely.

My great love at the moment in game design is PBTA. The incredible terseness, expressiveness and flexibility of the system is still shocking even, what, 9 years later? So I’m working on a Glorantha hack and played it a little and it’s shaping up well.

My most recent game play experience was running a short Blades in the Dark game for about 10 sessions. That was a ton of fun, with a finale that’s probably the best few sessions of gaming I’ve ever played or run.

Anyway, I’m loving the forum and Gauntlet community, and had a great welcome so far.

Simon Hibbs

9 Likes

Right now 5ed is Vampire only (with Werewolf in the works, I’m being told) so there isn’t that much to choose from. :wink: As for the old WoD I’d probably still go either Vampire or Werewolf or Hunter so from my POV 5ed expands as it should. :funeral_urn:

1 Like

Welcome @Simon_Hibbs - Glorantha … Ahh, Yes, I remember it well & with great affection. Hope to run into you in a game from the Gauntlet Calendar.

2 Likes

Hi folks, I’m Victor. I’ve only been involved in the ttrpg community for a few months. Last month I participated in the Mega RPG game jam on itch io (you can find my submission here https://victor-a-gonzalez.itch.io/orphn-1). That project is still in development. Apart from that, I designed a monster A.I. ruleset for automating monsters which I’m told was good. I’m currently in the process of writing lots of monsters for an eventual book release of that system and would love to get some playtests going.

Also, embarrassing confession, I’ve never played a ttrpg before. I come from a board/card and video game background, and I love to read rpg books (currently devouring all the cool releases for the MegaRPG jam). I know it’s a bit odd to have designed RPG supplements and even a game without ever having played one, but I think that’s informed my style of game design which is out there, I think, in a positive way. Anywho, I’m excited to play my first real ttrpg at Gauntlet Con 2019.

11 Likes

Welcome @SeeminglyJaded - I’m sure you’ll enjoy Gauntlet Con.

2 Likes

Welcome to ALL the new folks. Great to see!
–Ron–

2 Likes

Hey!

I’m Georg (they/them), a bipolar queer game designer from Austria, Europe.

I don’t have words for how long I have meant to join this place and community; but I was feeling weird, and out of place. I have social anxiety, but I’m trying to be pro-active so … here I am!

Trophy got me here. I saw its elegance and immediately thought that I want to connect with the people that exist here. I really also appreciate the accessibility of having a Jargon post, so I don’t feel completely culture-shocked just from coming here.

I appreciate all of your work, and hope I’m welcome, even if I am a very weird and out-of-place stuffed animal.

-Georg

EDIT: Oh, absolutely feel free to grab a free Community Copy of Michtim: Fluffy Adventures or any of my other itch things. It’s like I’m coming here without a welcome gift.

17 Likes

Welcome, Georg! Not sure if you remember a VirtuaCon panel we did together, but I’m glad you’re here.

Rich Rogers

6 Likes

Welcome! This is a great place for all quirky, intelligent people, and I hope we can make you feel part of it, quickly and soon.

5 Likes

Hi Georg!

So happy to see you here, great big welcome! Just take your time settling in :heart:

5 Likes

absolutely! technically it was a frog, and not you, right?

4 Likes

thank you for the kind words!!

just learned that I’m replying to quickly, so erm, feel free to grab a Community Copy of Michtim from my itch if you like!

I should’ve put that in the original post, damn.

3 Likes

You’re amazing and thank you for being my friend. :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Hi Georg! I’m here too, but mostly a lurker - which is something I keep promising myself I’ll fix but just haven’t yet. I’m glad you’re here too!

7 Likes

That’s right! Dr Tom was in front of the camera and I was behind the scenes. :slight_smile: :frog:

6 Likes

Hey Georg! Welcome, and we’re happy to have you! The forums can certainly be overwhelming, but don’t feel like you need to take it all in. Find topics that interest you, ask questions if things are unclear, and share the fun things you’re playing, reading, or working on!

8 Likes

Hi, Georg! It’s great to see you here, and I’m glad you said hi!

5 Likes