PbtA, but a slight tweak to the playbook concept

So you know the PbtA thing that playbook extras are restricted to those playbooks? Frex, a Battlebabe can’t gain a hardhold, even if they fictionally get one, until they switch playbooks. What if there’s a game where every “extra” is treated like a compendium class from Dungeon World? That way, if something happens fictionally that you didn’t expect from that character, you wouldn’t be forced to wait until your 6th advance.

Sounds good to me!

The traditional way to prove concepts like this is to make a game that shows them off, so you’ve thought yourself into an exciting challenge!

One of the best things anyone can do is to encourage others to make cool things. I see you consistently doing that, and it makes my heart happy. Please keep it up.

Edit: Added a “you”.

Dirty little secret about the design of “relic” level magic items in Fourth World: they are portable compendium classes.

Isn’t there a “Choose a move from another playbook” option on most the the advancement tables?

I know there is in Blades in the Dark. Not sure if that’s in the original AW…

I just checked and all of the playbooks in 1st Ed. and 2nd Ed. Apocalypse World have two “choose a move from another playbook” options under their improvements.

Right, a Battlebabe could take a move from the Hardholder, but they would ostensibly have nothing to apply the move to since a Battlebabe does not have a hardhold (only Hardholders get that).
I’ve always presumed that if a character gets a move from another playbook that presumes the character has something, then they have it. But there’s really not anything that says that…except that character advancement can be descriptive — if the Battlebabe builds a fort, perhaps that character should just get the move regardless of Hx.

Sorry if “Hardholder” is not the playbook, but I cannot be pressed to look up the proper name now lol

To do it, do it.

And if you do, do it.

Right?

If you take a hardhhold, you’re a hardhholder. (even if not The Hardhholder)
If you take the hardhholder move mechnically, there should be some fiction to back that up.

Descriptive and Prescriptive.

In my experience, this usually happens a couple different ways (as example):

1. The player obtains a hold, then waits until their next level-up to take a move from the Hardholder’s playbook. Which makes sense in narrative since the character doesn’t really know what they’re doing yet, so will flail and fail for a bit until they have a chance to figure it out.
  2. Alternately, the player can signal to the MC, out of game or by taking the move, that this is something they’re interested in seeing in play. Goal Posting for the GM.

In one of our AW games, we didn’t have a Hardholder. Players and NPCs kept coming to our Savvyhead for help for all manner of problems. The player decided to take a Hardholder move to help deal with this de facto leadership position they were, reluctantly, forced into.

I am also of the belief that if you acquire the move in fiction, you just get the move (or maybe a close custom version).

So if a player acquired control of the hardhold I (as the MC) might give them a custom (usually worse) version of the hardholder move immediately. They have the ability to acquire the move (via advances) if they want to get a “better” version of the move.

i guess the danger from people taking each others moves may lead to less ‘feeling special’ and being able to contribute.

with a smaller group of say 2-3 players i can totally see allowing moves from playbooks not being used straight after character creation.

At the table, it’s courtesy to not take a move from another playbook someone is playing.