RPGs where you play two characters / roles?

‪Can anyone think of RPGs where you play two characters through various parts of the narrative?‬

Like I suppose in Fall of Magic you do so (your main character and at various times the Magus). What others are there out there?

Ars Magica. You’ll play your mage, a companion, and a variety of grogs.

Better Angels. You’ll play a demonically powered supervillain and the demon to another player.

Just started reading Band of Blades. It says it has low character affinity and you might play different characters each time in addition to playing the legion roles.

Good Society. Play your leading character as well as connections and minor characters for other players.

2 Likes

pretty sure the modiphius version of Star Trek you do too

minor crew members have your stats but 1 less for each, so generating those crew is quick

that way if your main is not on the away mission you play a minor char with similar traits/skills

3 Likes

Girl Underground: players that are turns playing the girls and otherwise play one of her companions.
Lovcraftesque: the role of each players shifts each scene between protagonist/character to GM to Asst GM.

2 Likes

Archipelago. You play your main character. You also take ownership of one of the elements of the setting (sort of like a character). And you should play the roles of various NPC when a scene requires it.

3 Likes

Any particular reason one should have this as a rule? I played AD&D for years with 3 or 4 characters. Gary Gygax used to do that too

In Durance you explicitly play two main characters, one on the guard side and one on the prisoner side.

If you’re counting playing minor characters as well, I feel like most GMless games fall into this category, like many that have been mentioned. Flotsam is fresh in my mind, just cuz I’m in the middle of reading it. Off the top of my head, Eden is like that, but I’m sure a ton more in that GMless story space where people take on other characters as needed in a scene. Certainly games with larger scope like Microscope and The Quiet Year. Ooh, Legacy is a good one as you play through generations.

I think I may be straying from the original question. :smile: I think Durance is actually my answer that’s most like what you’re asking.

5 Likes

Bloodlust. You play an adventurer, and a magical/intelligent weapon held by another player’s adventurer.

Montsegur 1244. You have a “main” character, and a couple of extras which you play as needed to support the stories of the other players’ main characters.

2 Likes

In Red Carnations on a Black Grave you play two members of the commune, who may or may not come into contact with each other.

5 Likes

Kids on Bikes: you play your own character and each player plays one or two aspects of the powered character (eg Eleven from Stranger Things) as a shared PC.

2 Likes

In Follow, everyone has a major character and a minor character.

In the Yellow King RPG, everyone plays 4 different characters, in 4 different settings, that may have some mystical paralells between them.

At least one version of Wraith had players play the shadow for other people’s PCs.

4 Likes

Now I want to write a game called Gemini where each player takes up the role of a set of twins who could each technically fulfill a prophecy. All competing to see who are the chosen duo. Maybe a hack of Agon 2

1 Like

Forsooth! It’s Shakespeare themed. Each player controls 1-3 characters that they can have enter or exit stage at any time.

Final Girl – a GM-less game that emulates slasher films. You take turns playing the Killer or one of the Cast, a common pool of characters that are sowly killed off scene by scene. Sharing a large number of characters works, I think, because the individual characters are not very fleshed out – in my experience, they are usually just based on a common movie tropes or one or two quirks, e.g., the stats-obsessed baseball nerd. That’s fine in FG, because it’s a one-shot and any given character is not expected to last very long, anyway. I suspect this setup would not work as well with more complex characters over multiple play sessions.

It’s not exactly what you’re talking about, but in Wraith: the Oblivion the PCs were ghosts, and each ghost had a dark side (or shadow) that was played by another player. So each player played one ghost and another ghost’s shadow (which had its own goals and tried to interfere or tempt its ghost in various ways).

EDIT: Oh, now I see that @Nickwedig already mentioned this. Anyway, it was one of my favorite parts of Wraith.

1 Like

You explained it better than I could. I never actually played Wraith (made a character once, but the game never happened), so I couldn’t remember the details of how the shadow thing worked.